60 Seconds With Hillary Clinton

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I had nothing to do yesterday, which as of late is a very rare occurrence. So I was taking that opportunity to finish the spring cleaning that I started weeks ago. At 1:45pm I was taking a break with my friend Facebook and I noticed that Tracey Nolan posted saying there were still wristbands left for the Hillary Clinton signing taking place at Indigo downtown. Before I passed out, I managed to message her for a second opinion on whether or not I would make it down there from where I lived in time to get a wristband.

I ultimately decided to just take a chance and see what happens. Thus begins what seems like the craziest journey I've ever been on. I grabbed the first non-pyjama type shirt I saw and threw it on and then the first pair of pants next to it. As I was running down to the garage to get in my car, I realized that the pants didn't feel right. It may have had something to do with the fact that they were on inside-out. Of course they were. No time to deal with that now so I got in my car, turned it on, and saw that I had NO GAS! Of course I didn't. So I stopped at the gas station and went right in-front of someone (sorry dude!), which I'm sure karma will bring back to me at some point.

With my car gassed up and ready to go I headed downtown. I managed to get there quicker than you would on a Sunday night at 4am. I scared myself. As I pulled up by the store to go and park I saw a line that went down the block, around the corner, and all the way down the other block. Awesome. The next question was "did these people all have wristbands?" Luckily for me, they did. So I parked and ran upstairs into the store and I'm sure the poor cashier I obtained the wristband from was scared of the crazy girl saying "please tell me you have wristbands left!"

Once I received my wristband I felt that immediate feeling of relief as I was walking downstairs and outside to go wait in line with everybody else. The first part of the wait was in the shade, which was nice because it was quite relaxing. While waiting in line I had a phone call with my brother (who though I was insane), my friend (who was debating whether or not to come and get a book signed while laughing at the fact that I put on dirty inside-out pants to meet Hillary Clinton), and my banker who only heard "bad timing" from my end of the phone.

Then I met two really lovely people with me in line and we proceeded to have great and interesting conversation while we waited together. Aside from meeting the former Secretary of State, that was the coolest part of this experience for me. We were all waiting in line with only slightly different versions of the same story in terms of our reasoning but all coming from different places. Even though we really didn't end up waiting nearly as long as we thought we would, the time definitely went by quicker with kind people to talk to.

Once we got into the store and just as I was approaching her, I did what I think most people do. I went blank. I had no idea what to say to a woman whom I admired as much as I do her. Do I tell her I'm a dual citizen and I hope to be able to vote for her in a few years? Do I thank her for coming to Toronto? Do I just say hello and thank you then walk away? How much time will I have? Those and many other thoughts took over my head until finally it was my turn.

I stepped up on the riser and smiled at her. "Thank you for coming to Toronto. Your influence is of course worldwide, but as a dual citizen I am so happy to see you in our city." "Oh how kind. Well thank you for coming!"

I was ecstatic. What an incredibly nice woman. People always talk about how cold politicians are and that the only reason they seem nice is because they are trained in how to handle these kinds of events. While I think that is to true a certain extent and completely accurate for some people, I also believe in genuine politicians and the fact that you can see real kindness in someone. I felt that yesterday. It was a once in a lifetime experience and it did not disappoint.

One other thing I really have to touch on is the establishment itself yesterday and their setup. I have attended my fair share of in-store events at Indigo in various cities but especially their flagship in Toronto. Aside from attending them, my Father had one in summer of 2002 when his book, A Jazz Odyssey, was released. I have never had a negative experience but today was beyond my wildest expectations. They were running that store and controlling the crowd like it was absolutely nothing. Their staff remained as friendly as ever and even the security people were kind and not at all pushy. If you had a question, anyone you asked that worked for that store was qualified to answer and did so with a smile. You knew where you had to go, if they needed you to do something you were asked politely, and not for one second did anyone complain about anything. Aside from that, they had the line moving very quickly. I thought I was going to be there all afternoon and from the time I stepped in the line to the moment I was handed my book was only one hour and thirty five minutes. I really commend them for the way they arranged and ran this event. I'm sure it took an unbelievable amount of work but they really pulled it off without a hitch of any kind and I am more impressed than I have ever been. Thank you!

All-in-all it was a wonderful and unforgettable experience. I am very glad I was able to do this and I came home with a signed book for my Mom. If Hillary Clinton is doing a signing in your area (especially at an Indigo) make sure you go. I can promise you that it will be worth it.

Until next time!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!